America the Beautiful.
Sorry that I’ve been a wee bit obsessed with maps recently, but I am sharing my latest DIY project with you anyway because I especially LOVE IT.
I recently spotted a gorgeous, artistically designed wooden US map in a shop window and was hoping to purchase it for the final piece of our bathroom remodel. Alas, with a price tag of $650 (which was more than we spent for the new slate tile floor!) that just wasn’t happening. Then I remembered a framed, wooden something-or-other Coach had stored in the barn awhile back.
Not sure what it used to be, but there seemed to be some torn felt and patches of black backing still affixed to it. But I loved the colors and the shape was perfect for the bathroom wall. So here is the How-I-Made-An-Artistic-Map:
1. Find a map outline online. Save it to your computer. Go to Blockposters.com and download the pic.
Now create the proper size pattern for your project. Blockposters automatically cuts the pieces up in proper proportion to fit! Print it out, then tape back together to create the pattern.
2. I outlined the edge of the pattern with a black marker to create a smooth line (do you know how many little inlets the great lakes have?!) and to mark the reverse side.
3. Back from when scrapbooking was a
hobby obsession, I have a trunk filled with decorative papers to choose from, so I went with ones that had some sort of meaning, like baseball in Boston and redwoods in California, friendship and love and in the heartlands and football in Texas. But you can use anything you want, even an old map!
4. Glued the strips to the map pattern on the front side, one strip at a time, smoothing out wrinkles and creases as I went. Don’t worry about following the shape of the pattern, you will be cutting all the excess away once everything is glued into place.
6. The patchwork map is quite colorful, but was a little lost in the rough background of the frame. So I decided to mount it onto a piece of black foam core board. Elmers Craft Bond works great for that!
7. Since there won’t be any glass on this picture, it needed a smooth finish for protection, so I painted it with Martha Stewart Decoupage Matte.
While that was happening, I cleaned the frame and added a little picture hanging thingy on the back. It is very light, so didn’t require any special screws.
10. Done! Hung in the remodeled bathroom, with the antique National Cash register sign we purchased at the Elephant’s Trunk Flea this past summer.
Total cost of the project: zippo-I saved $650, using the Three “R”s-recycle, refurbish, relove. Everything I needed for this project I already had on hand, so Coach, you owe me one… Have a crafty Tuesday everyone! Susan