In a recent post, I blogged about transferring French Typography onto wooden furniture using wax paper- this week’s High Five For Friday! Yup-regular old wax paper- the old-fashioned kind we used to wrap our sandwiches in for our tin lunch boxes-is suddenly all the rage again.Sandwich wrapped in wax paperSo I thought I would give the wax paper transfer method currently posted on my D.I.M. Pinterest page a try, since I am working on some new pieces. Coach found this cute little old pine telephone table that I thought would work nicely.

Telephone Table Before

(This one’s from the olden days, folks, when we had those gadgets attached to the wall called telephones, with an attached cord so you had to sit down to talk on them and use loads of paper books with names and addresses and phone numbers in them : )…

Wax Transfer Phone Image

Here are the steps:

1. Cleaned and steel wooled. It hardly had any finish on it so no sanding needed. But I made sure that the inside was clean as well. Nothing worse than opening up some cute, vintage refinished piece only to inhale the strong odor of musty cigarette smoke.

2. Added 2 coats of Annie Sloan French Linen paint. Love the soft color and the flat finish.

Telephone Table Painted

3. Got some wax paper (this pic shows parchment paper which apparently works as well, but I haven’t tried that yet)

Wax papers

4. Find a picture- I got mine from the Graphics Fairy- and print it in your REGULAR INK JET PRINTER!! Not a laser printer, apparently that just melts the wax. Make sure when you go to settings you reverse it for the transfer process prior to printing. Cut the wax paper to the same size as a regular sheet of copy paper. Slowly feed the wax paper into the printer, being careful not to let it wrinkle or crease. Once printed, allow time for it to dry so it won’t smear when you lay it down on your piece.

Wax Paper in Printer

5. Dampen (NOT WET!) the furniture so it will accept the ink. Center the wax paper, print side down, on to your piece of furniture.

Wax paper transfer on table

6. Now just start rubbing all over the design, pressing firmly. I tried two methods of transfer- the credit card- which I found had too sharp of an edge to really press.

Wax paper transfer with credit card

The back of a spoon-perfect! Rub the image until  it is completely transferred.

Wax paper transfer with spoon

The harder and longer you rub, the darker and clearer your image will be. You can carefully pick up the paper and check underneath as you go along, but just make sure you put it back exactly in the same spot- otherwise the image will appear blurry. Allow to dry (about 5 minutes)

7. Finish with a coat of Annie Sloan Soft Wax.

Wax paper French Typography transfer

8. Since we no longer have giant phones and tons of phone books, I discovered a cute new storage place for my Ipad!

Wax Paper French Typography Transfer

TGIF everyone!! So happy to finally have some nice sunny weather-NOT!!! Susan

44 comments

• Tiffany March 24, 2015 at 11:09

Have you ever tried to transfer this to a wall?

1. countrydesignhome March 25, 2015 at 05:52

Hi Tiffany- Unfortunately I have not so I cannot tell you how to do that. But if you go to the Graphics Fairy website, she has lots of readers tutorials that show how to transfer pretty much anything. Hope that helps!

• Anne Stinson March 11, 2015 at 15:29

I have a quote my late father wrote at the beginning of an old book. I had the quote (in his hand writing) enlarged and made several copies. I would like to preserve for my siblings. I found several unfinished wood hearts that I would like to use for this purpose. My question is : how do I reverse the image of the copies I had made at a printshop (I have a Cannon inkjet). So that I may transfer them to the hearts and preserve with polyurethane or something ? I am quite a novice at this, and don’t want to mess up the hearts as they were hard to find. If you can advise….I would very much appreciate it ! Thank you !

1. countrydesignhome March 12, 2015 at 04:07

Hi Anne- what a lovely idea to preserve such a special memory! If I am understanding your question correctly, you have already had the quotes printed and now wish to reverse them to transfer to the wood? Unfortunately, if you are trying to transfer using wax paper, you need to do that on your own printer. Once you have designed the quote, you then need to print it on the wax paper in reverse. When you click print, a box typically will open up asking you questions about the size of paper and quality of printing. There should be a “properties” button to click, which should then take you to a screen that will allow you to choose options like landscape or portrait, etc. There should be a choice to print in reverse. Click that and save it. My printer is different from yours, so it many say something different but you should be able to find it in the properties. Make sure you print a test sheet before you begin printing on the wax paper. Good luck!

• Katie March 03, 2015 at 14:46

Love this idea! I spray painted an old milk can I had with a mate finish cream color . I want to try this idea on it but do you think it would work since it’s not chalk paint? And how would you suggest sealing it on this surface if it were to work ? Thanks !

1. countrydesignhome March 05, 2015 at 06:27

Hi Katie- It should work as long as it is a matte finish. The other issue is that a milk can has a round surface, which may prove tricky to get the transfer
      secured. That being said, if it does work (fingers crossed), then I would go with a light spray varnish or finish, at least over the transfer part. Then if you
      wanted to wax the entire piece to give it that look, you could do that.

• ESMERALDA February 20, 2015 at 17:17

OK, I AM NEW AT ALL OF THIS. CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THE COPY COME OUT BACKWARDS SO I CAN TRANSFER TO THE WOOD.

1. countrydesignhome February 21, 2015 at 06:40

Hi- When you open up the printer box to actually print the picture, there will be a “properties” or options button (every printer is different). If you click on that, it will allow you to print the reverse side- just choose that button. Once the printing is completed, unclick the button so every thing you print won’t be backwards : )

• Debbie Brewer February 10, 2015 at 09:12

Where did you find your graffics ?

1. countrydesignhome February 10, 2015 at 10:07

For that particular project I think they were from The Graphics Fairy. She has thousands of graphics online to choose from.

• svitlana January 09, 2015 at 17:25

I have only one problem with this, ink is smears when i try to apply finish on the furniture? so as wax doesn’t smear it when you apply it?

1. countrydesignhome January 09, 2015 at 20:16

Hi! Sorry you are having trouble with this project! When I painted my piece for this particular project, I used Annie Sloan chalk paint. It has quite a porous finish to it so it absorbed the ink well. No smudges when I finished it. But when I used my own home-made chalky paint, I had the same issue you did. So after I applied the transfer, I waited until it was dry and then lightly sprayed it with a poly finish coat. Then I waited until that dried and waxed the entire piece. Hope that helps!

• Chandra October 09, 2014 at 13:16

Have you ever tried this on canvas? I am doing a painting and want to transfer some writing to a few spot on the painting. Thanks for any input you may have.

1. countrydesignhome October 09, 2014 at 13:29

Hi! I haven’t but I have seen others do this on fabric with an iron. The issue I would see is that canvas typically has sizing on it which may not accept the ink. Check out graphics fairy.com. She has lots of posts with transfers of all kinds.

• Catie September 11, 2014 at 12:43

can this method work on burlap? Also, I think the parchment paper would be better because it is already a little stiffer than wax.

1. countrydesignhome September 12, 2014 at 07:44

You know, I have tried it on burlap, as I have seen others post photos of that. But I have to tell you that it was a big fail on my part. The burlap kept getting jammed in my printer, no matter how much I pressed it down. Then all the inkjets were smeared and I had to remove them and clean them multiple times. I wouldn’t recommend but I know other folks have had a lot of luck with it.

1. chris January 16, 2015 at 10:04

I have used the wax paper method with success several times. I am interested in transferring to canvas, sailcloth, or burlap. From the research I have done, I was under the impression you printed on to the wax paper, as usual, then rubbed the transfer into the fabric. You mentioned putting burlap directly in the printer. Did I have this wrong? Will putting fabric in damage the printer? Also want to mention after the wax paper is used a few times, I had to “deep clean” the printer. Also have HP all in one, and by coincidence, a cannon pixma 250 photo. I only use the hp any more, ink costs less than Cannon. Your transfer looked a bit darker than mine, i think i need to adjust to max dpi. Great project, and i also have a stand very slimier to yours, but i did not know it was a phone stand, i use it as a night stand.

1. countrydesignhome January 17, 2015 at 06:22

Hi Chris- I tried the burlap method in my printer and almost ruined it! The fibers were everywhere and it took me several “deep cleans’ to finally clear off the printer heads. I have read so many different transfer methods and have tried a few, including a print on wax paper ironed on to fabric. Never been too successful at any of this other than the transfer onto chalked painted furniture. They do sell fabric mounted on paper sheets that you can purchase at Joann’s- those work really well for printing directly on the fabric, but limits you to a copy paper size image. I’ve re-discovered stenciling. Americana makes a collection of vintage look stencils with Paris graphics. Beautiful and very inexpensive, and so easy to use!

• Jamie Marie Buckner August 25, 2014 at 16:45

I tried this but just could not get it to feed into the printer.. crazy paper jams. even when hand feeding, even with taping to a piece of printer paper… no such luck.

1. countrydesignhome August 26, 2014 at 06:21

Hi Jamie- I have two printers. One that I absolutely cannot use wax paper with (which is a quite expensive Canon photo printer) and one that works great (a very inexpensive HP Deskjet 2430.) The best technique that I have found to be the most successful is to use double sided tape and attach to a sheet of white copy paper. Make sure the edges are very clean and straight. I think that some printers are just to “finicky” to use the wax paper because it has a coating on it.
      I have also used freezer paper, which is a little thicker and not quite as flimsy. Perhaps give that a try? Good luck!

1. Jamie Marie Buckner August 26, 2014 at 10:00

go figure I have a HP photo printer as well! lol I haven’ given up on this endeavor but I’m going to have to try a couple of different ways! Or maybe just buy transfer paper lol.

I’ve seen where mod podge is used and that is just a mess haha.. I have tried it twice and its not a good solution!

• Denise Deschamps April 06, 2014 at 20:03

would this work on paper?? I made a picture frame with musical sheet and I will like to add some word over it , do you think I can use this method??

1. countrydesignhome April 07, 2014 at 06:53

Hi- I have never tried it so I am not sure if it will work or not. The ink needs something to grab onto, and I don’t know if paper will work.

1. Anonymous April 07, 2014 at 17:52

• Celia March 16, 2014 at 09:17

Once the image was applied to the wood did the ink not smear when you waxed it? That’s what happened to me:(

1. countrydesignhome March 16, 2014 at 09:32

Hi! If the wood is raw, then it should be fine. If the paint on the piece is not matte or chalky paint, the ink may smear. In that case, I will lightly spray it with a coat of matte finish just to set the ink, then wax the whole thing.

1. Celia August 26, 2014 at 09:15

Thanks for your reply!!

• Mary March 07, 2014 at 10:29

Having a senior moment here… bare with me. Do you feed the design and wax paper in the copier at the same time? Feeling very dumb…

1. countrydesignhome March 07, 2014 at 10:35

lol- not a dumb question! The design is whatever you create or download on your computer. Usually I print from my Paint program, but lately I have been using my photo editor called Pic Monkey. Just prepare the design however you want it to look, then put your paper in the printer and print away! The wax or freezer paper just takes the place of the piece of copy paper in your printer tray. By the way, if using wax paper, I find it is a little easier to handle if you actually tape it to a piece of copy paper to give it more weight and feed through the copier easier. Just make sure you put the paper in the tray correctly so it prints on the wax paper and not on the copy paper (mine is print side down) Hope that helps! By the way, love your email address : )

2. chris aka monkey April 05, 2014 at 12:00

too funny my computer whiz daughter is sitting next to me as i read this and i asked the same question and she gave same answer lol xx

• Judy March 02, 2014 at 10:40

I am excited to see this so simple and very inspiring.It will help me over my creative block

• Sally Harms January 14, 2014 at 20:00

I’ve tried this and it works great. I taped a piece of computer paper to the wax paper which makes the “feed” process much smoother and easier.

1. countrydesignhome January 14, 2014 at 22:01

That’s great!

• Anonymous December 16, 2013 at 08:10

About wax paper,will it work on eather side?

1. countrydesignhome December 16, 2013 at 15:00

Yes it will, with wax paper. With freezer paper you need to use the waxy side and not the paper side.

• fran August 19, 2013 at 10:17

would this work on glass??

1. countrydesignhome August 19, 2013 at 16:46

I am not certain, but I am thinking probably not. If you go to another blog “In My Own Style”, or The Graphics Fairy, and search there, you
      may have a bit of luck. Both of those blogs have quite a lot of transfer information. Good luck! And if you are successful, send me a photo
      and info to share- I am sure you are not the only person curious about this!

2. Anonymous March 02, 2014 at 07:40

There are instructions for transferring onto glass using Leslie Riley’s TAP (Transfer Artist Paper), and also wood. She has a book out that explains the process – but you can also google this.

1. countrydesignhome March 02, 2014 at 16:04

I’m definitely going to check that out!

• Diane August 11, 2013 at 15:14

Great tutorial, and I have to say, I will give it a try. I found you on the Before & After DIY Link up. New follower!!! Cant wait for more tips. :)

1. countrydesignhome August 11, 2013 at 21:59

Thanks! I always try to be clear and thorough in my tutorials so my readers can understand them easily! If you go to my home page and type in DIM in the search box, there are some other projects you might like as well.

• Steve@UrbanCottage April 13, 2013 at 07:52

I’m not sure I would ever do this–well, never say never–but I showed a few women at work and they were all gaga about it.

• Jacqueline April 12, 2013 at 15:17

I have never tried this method yet.I have tried it with fabric and it works.I definitely will be doing this on furniture. Thanks for sharing.

1. countrydesignhome April 12, 2013 at 15:44

Well I’ve never tried it on fabric! That would be great if it worked too! Project for another day! Thanks for the tip.