In a recent post, I blogged about transferring French Typography onto wooden furniture using wax paper– this week’s High Five For Friday! Yup-regular old wax paper– the old-fashioned kind we used to wrap our sandwiches in for our tin lunch boxes-is suddenly all the rage again.Sandwich wrapped in wax paperSo I thought I would give the wax paper transfer method currently posted on my D.I.M. Pinterest page a try, since I am working on some new pieces. Coach found this cute little old pine telephone table that I thought would work nicely.

Telephone Table Before

(This one’s from the olden days, folks, when we had those gadgets attached to the wall called telephones, with an attached cord so you had to sit down to talk on them and use loads of paper books with names and addresses and phone numbers in them : )…

Wax Transfer Phone Image

Here are the steps:

1. Cleaned and steel wooled. It hardly had any finish on it so no sanding needed. But I made sure that the inside was clean as well. Nothing worse than opening up some cute, vintage refinished piece only to inhale the strong odor of musty cigarette smoke.

2. Added 2 coats of Annie Sloan French Linen paint. Love the soft color and the flat finish.

Telephone Table Painted

3. Got some wax paper (this pic shows parchment paper which apparently works as well, but I haven’t tried that yet)

Wax papers

4. Find a picture- I got mine from the Graphics Fairy– and print it in your REGULAR INK JET PRINTER!! Not a laser printer, apparently that just melts the wax. Make sure when you go to settings you reverse it for the transfer process prior to printing. Cut the wax paper to the same size as a regular sheet of copy paper. Slowly feed the wax paper into the printer, being careful not to let it wrinkle or crease. Once printed, allow time for it to dry so it won’t smear when you lay it down on your piece.

Wax Paper in Printer

5. Dampen (NOT WET!) the furniture so it will accept the ink. Center the wax paper, print side down, on to your piece of furniture.

Wax paper transfer on table

6. Now just start rubbing all over the design, pressing firmly. I tried two methods of transfer- the credit card- which I found had too sharp of an edge to really press.

Wax paper transfer with credit card

The back of a spoon-perfect! Rub the image until  it is completely transferred.

Wax paper transfer with spoon

The harder and longer you rub, the darker and clearer your image will be. You can carefully pick up the paper and check underneath as you go along, but just make sure you put it back exactly in the same spot- otherwise the image will appear blurry. Allow to dry (about 5 minutes)

7. Finish with a coat of Annie Sloan Soft Wax.

Wax paper French Typography transfer

8. Since we no longer have giant phones and tons of phone books, I discovered a cute new storage place for my Ipad!

Wax Paper French Typography Transfer

TGIF everyone!! So happy to finally have some nice sunny weather-NOT!!! Susan

Please follow and like us:

44 Comments on "Waxing Nostalgic"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Tiffany
Tiffany
1 year 2 months ago

Have you ever tried to transfer this to a wall?

Anne Stinson
Anne Stinson
1 year 2 months ago
I have a quote my late father wrote at the beginning of an old book. I had the quote (in his hand writing) enlarged and made several copies. I would like to preserve for my siblings. I found several unfinished wood hearts that I would like to use for this purpose. My question is : how do I reverse the image of the copies I had made at a printshop (I have a Cannon inkjet). So that I may transfer them to the hearts and preserve with polyurethane or something ? I am quite a novice at this, and don’t… Read more »
Katie
Katie
1 year 2 months ago

Love this idea! I spray painted an old milk can I had with a mate finish cream color . I want to try this idea on it but do you think it would work since it’s not chalk paint? And how would you suggest sealing it on this surface if it were to work ? Thanks !

ESMERALDA
ESMERALDA
1 year 3 months ago

OK, I AM NEW AT ALL OF THIS. CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THE COPY COME OUT BACKWARDS SO I CAN TRANSFER TO THE WOOD.

Debbie Brewer
Debbie Brewer
1 year 3 months ago

Where did you find your graffics ?

svitlana
svitlana
1 year 4 months ago

I have only one problem with this, ink is smears when i try to apply finish on the furniture? so as wax doesn’t smear it when you apply it?

Chandra
Chandra
1 year 7 months ago

Have you ever tried this on canvas? I am doing a painting and want to transfer some writing to a few spot on the painting. Thanks for any input you may have.

Catie
Catie
1 year 8 months ago

can this method work on burlap? Also, I think the parchment paper would be better because it is already a little stiffer than wax.

Jamie Marie Buckner
1 year 9 months ago

I tried this but just could not get it to feed into the printer.. crazy paper jams. even when hand feeding, even with taping to a piece of printer paper… no such luck.

Denise Deschamps
2 years 1 month ago

would this work on paper?? I made a picture frame with musical sheet and I will like to add some word over it , do you think I can use this method??

Celia
Celia
2 years 2 months ago

Once the image was applied to the wood did the ink not smear when you waxed it? That’s what happened to me:(

Mary
2 years 2 months ago

Having a senior moment here… bare with me. Do you feed the design and wax paper in the copier at the same time? Feeling very dumb…

chris aka monkey
chris aka monkey
2 years 1 month ago

too funny my computer whiz daughter is sitting next to me as i read this and i asked the same question and she gave same answer lol xx

Judy
Judy
2 years 2 months ago

I am excited to see this so simple and very inspiring.It will help me over my creative block

Sally Harms
Sally Harms
2 years 4 months ago

I’ve tried this and it works great. I taped a piece of computer paper to the wax paper which makes the “feed” process much smoother and easier.

Anonymous
Anonymous
2 years 5 months ago

About wax paper,will it work on eather side?

fran
2 years 9 months ago

would this work on glass??

Anonymous
Anonymous
2 years 2 months ago

There are instructions for transferring onto glass using Leslie Riley’s TAP (Transfer Artist Paper), and also wood. She has a book out that explains the process – but you can also google this.

Diane
2 years 9 months ago

Great tutorial, and I have to say, I will give it a try. I found you on the Before & After DIY Link up. New follower!!! Cant wait for more tips. :)

Steve@UrbanCottage
3 years 1 month ago

I’m not sure I would ever do this–well, never say never–but I showed a few women at work and they were all gaga about it.

Jacqueline
3 years 1 month ago

I have never tried this method yet.I have tried it with fabric and it works.I definitely will be doing this on furniture. Thanks for sharing.

wpDiscuz

Inspired. Rustic. New Country Style.

Youralternatetext

Welcome To Country Design Home!

Inspired. Rustic. New Country Style...in the suburbs. Because you don't have to live on a farm to create a warm and inviting country-styled home. Follow my DIY junkin' journey as I give tips of the trades and inspired fresh country design ideas to create your own Country Design Home.
Youralternatetext
Youralternatetext
Youralternatetext
Youralternatetext

Pure & Original Paint

Pure & Original Paint

I’m A Social Influencer!

Never Miss A Blog Post! Subscribe Free!

Never Miss An Inspired Blog Post-Join My Subscribers Free! Sign Up For Emails Here